Thursday 14 January 2016

Preparing for Grenada I

As you might already know I am going to spend three weeks on a Caribbean island starting in 21 DAYS! And guess what - even though I'm very excited to go there, I'm not even close to being prepared. You may think now.. it's the Caribbean, what is there to prepare for? But for me it really is  quite a lot!



First of all, I have to figure out how to get on that 11 hours flight across the Atlantic Ocean with my flight phobia.
When I was a kid, I really loved going somewhere by plane and was excited every time I saw an airplane in the sky. However, some day, when I was about 18 years old and on my way to Paris, France, I sat in the plane and just panicked. I have no clue about what was different to this flight or what has changed in my life to cause this reaction: All of a sudden, I started shaking, my hands were sweaty, I couldn't breathe, couldn't think clearly and inside of me I felt this terrible fear for my life. Although, the plane wasn't even hitting turbulence, I just couldn't calm myself down.
Since this trip I have never again been able to enjoy a flight. I have tried progressive muscle relaxation therapy, music and other entertaining distractions, not sleeping the night before, valerian  and meditation, but nothing could keep my heart from racing, my hands from sweating or my mind sticking to the obsessive thought of the plane crashing.


Today, I haven't sat in an airplane for 7 months and just catching a glimpse of the flight mode icon on my phone, not to speak of actually getting on an airplane and being locked in there for 11 hours, makes me FREAK.
To avoid this quite uncomfortable situation in February, I've started doing extra sessions of yoga practicing Pranayama and Savasana (Breathing and Relaxation) to comfort myself and shorten the time it takes me until being completely calm. I'm also going to see a doctor this week to get some tranquilisers for the worst case, hoping that I won't need them. But tbh, I have no idea how to get over this fear and back to enjoying  flights.

Help!
Em